Our MFL Curriculum Statement
The core language taught at Nicol Mere Primary School is French. It is our intention that all children in KS2 will access quality first teaching of French which will develop our children’s knowledge and progressively develop their skills in languages. They will use and apply an increasing bank of vocabulary thus equipping the children with the skills in order to be confident global citizens. In Lower Key Stage 2, children acquire basic skills and understanding of French with a strong emphasis placed on developing their Speaking and Listening skills. These will be embedded and further developed in Upper Key Stage 2, alongside Reading and Writing, gradually progressing onto more complex language concepts and greater learner autonomy.
1. To have high expectations in language teaching across KS2 so that children are confident global citizens.
2. To provide a broad and balance curriculum which is progressive in knowledge, skills and vocabulary
3. To give our children an understanding and appreciation of the French culture.
4. To offer our children new and exciting experiences and opportunities.
5. To promote our school values.
6. To offer a curriculum that enables children to express their ideas and thoughts in French and provides opportunities to interact and communicate with others in both speech and writing.
7. To foster children’s curiosity and help deepen their understanding of the world.
8. To prepare our children for the next steps in their learning journey.
Nicol Mere MFL Curriculum