Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)


Local Offer for SEND

You can download our SEN policy here.

At Nicol Mere school, we are fully supportive of inclusion and strive to ensure that all our pupils progress to their full potential, enjoying appropriate challenges and the achievement of success. Quality first teaching is vital; however for some children, there are occasions when further additional support may be needed to help them achieve their targets. This includes children with; Cognitive and Learning needs, Communication and Interaction difficulties, Sensory and /or Physical needs and Social, Emotional and Mental Health difficulties (as identified in the SEND Code of Practice 2015). We are aware that some pupils have needs that span across the categories and teachers will then be aware of both the child’s primary need and subsequent needs.

Nicol Mere School Local Offer

The Government Green Paper (March 2011) introduced the local offer as a way of providing parents and families with an overview of what is on offer to support disabled children and children with Special Educational Needs (SEN).

Local Authorities must publish a local offer setting out provision they expect to be available across education, health and social care for children and young people who have SEN or are disabled.

See: www.wigan.gov.uk/sendlocaloffer

Roles and Responsibilities

  • Provision for pupils with SEND is a matter for the school as a whole.
  • All teachers are responsible for the progress of pupils in their class, including those who access additional support.
  • The SENDco, Miss Norris, is responsible for liaising with class teachers, parents, the SLT (primarily Mr Gubbins) and outside agencies regarding SEND support. Miss Norris can be contacted by telephoning the school office on 01942 720871.
  • Mr Gubbins, the Head teacher, is responsible for determining a strategic plan for SEN provision within the school and the allocation of funds.
  • Mrs R Clift is the member of the Governing body who is responsible for overseeing all matters relating to SEND at school.

How does the school know if children need extra help?

We know when pupils need help if:

  • Concerns are raised by  parents/carers, the teacher  or the child
  • Limited progress is noted at the Pupil Progress Review meetings.

If the school feels that your child is not making progress and may have SEN, then the class teacher, with the support of the SENDco, will discuss the school’s concerns with you. This may involve other agencies, if appropriate, and would require your consent. The class teacher will also discuss with you how you can support your child in achieving their targets.

Who should I speak to if I am concerned about my child's learning or if I think my child may have special educational needs?

  •  The child’s teacher is the first point of contact for parental concerns regarding a child’s difficulties with learning.
  • Further concerns can also be discussed with the school’s SENDco, Miss Norris. Please ask the class teacher or at the school reception desk for an appointment.
How will Nicol Mere support my child?
  • Each pupil’s education  programme is planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class or the purchase of specialist equipment.
  • When a child is found to be making little or no progress, then the teacher must consider whether he/she has a full understanding of the pupil’s learning profile to understand if any SEN is impacting on learning. If the school decides that additional and different provision is necessary for the pupil to make progress, they must contact the parents/carers and put effective special educational provision in place via a support plan, following the four stages of the Graduated Approach: Assess, Plan, Do and Review.
  • Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with the SLT to discuss the progress of pupils in order for future support to be planned for.
  • If a lack of progress continues, then Outside Agency advice may be needed to help the pupil. The need for this will always be discussed with parents/ carers and parental consent be sought. This may take the form of a referral to Education Psychology(EP), the Targeted Education Support Service (TESS), Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy etc. Referrals may also follow discussions from SEN planning meetings which take place twice annually with the EP, TESS and SENDco. After an outside agency has completed their assessments, school and parents/carers usually get a report that includes strategies to try, in order to promote progress. The class teacher will then incorporate these strategies into a further support plan, again following the four stages of the Graduated Approach: Assess, Plan, Do and Review.
  • At the Support plan review meeting, if it is decided that support needs to continue and that the cost of support needed for the child goes beyond £6000, then the school or parents/carers  can apply for an Educational Health Care Assessment.
  • Children are given the opportunity to attend review meetings and are actively involved in setting targets on their child friendly individual support plans. Children with an EHCP complete their pupil views and discuss them as part of the annual review meeting.
  • Decisions regarding the allocation of support and resources to each child will depend upon the SEND budget which is set in April each year, along with termly tracking of pupil progress and discussions with specialists and parents/carers.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's needs?

  • When a child has been identified as requiring additional support, work will be differentiated in order to meet its own personal needs.
  • Teaching assistants (TAs) may work with the children on a one to one, or small group basis, as well as the teacher to target their needs.
  • Interventions may be planned, where lessons are delivered in a small group and are in addition to normal lessons.
  • Any specialist equipment that is required will be provided by school.

How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me support my child’s learning?

  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at parent’s evenings.
  • At Nicol Mere class teachers are available before school and after school. If you would like a longer discussion please make an appointment through the school office.
  • Class teacher will invite parents/carers in, with the support of the SENDco if appropriate, to discuss concerns as they arise and how parents/carers can help school to support their child.
  • Parents/carers are expected to hear their children read every day.
  • If either the Educational Psychologist or Targeted Education Support Service teacher has undertaken assessments then parents/carers are invited in for a meeting to discuss their observations and their suggested strategies for support.
  • Review meetings will provide the opportunity to discuss in depth, the progress of children with a support plan. This will determine whether what has been tried has worked and should continue for a while longer, or whether something different needs to be tried.
  • Parent/ carer workshops are regularly held in school which parent/ carers are welcome to attend.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well being?

Nicol Mere offers a variety of pastoral support including:

  • Some staff in school have had training in social skills.
  • The School Council provides pupil’s with a voice.
  • Pupils are trained as play leaders.
  • School is able to refer pupils who have emotional needs to CAMHS and Start Well.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by Nicol Mere?

Miss L Norris has completed the National SENCO Award. The school buys into the Educational Psychology Service and also has support from the Targeted Educational Support Service (TESS).

Other services may be called upon when more specialist advice is required: 

  •  Social Care
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
  • Primary Mental Health
  • Start Well
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Sensory Support Team
  • Behaviour Support
  • School Nurse Team
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Outreach Service
  • Physical Disability Outreach
  • ASD – (Landgate school)
  • Epilepsy Nurse

What training are the staff supporting children with SEND had/are having?

 Different members of staff have attended the following training courses:

  • Talking Partners
  • Social Skills
  • Team Teach
  • Soundswrite
  • Letters and Sounds
  • Precision Monitoring
  • Asperger’s Syndrome
  • Specific learning difficulties
  • Maths Recovery
  • Use of an epi-pen
  • Writing skills
  • First Aid
  • Learning to learn
  • Encompass training

 All staff have had up to date Child Protection training.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all.

  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures put in place to enable all to participate.
  • However if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1-1 support is required  then a parent/carer may be asked to accompany their child.
  • catch -up clubs take place before and after school.
  • Various clubs including sport clubs, dance, and choir take place after school.

How accessible is the school environment?

At Nicol Mere we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Our equality and accessibility plan is available in Reception.  Facilities we have at present include:

  • Ramps into school to make the school accessible to all.
  • 3 toilets adapted for disabled users.
  • Wide doors in some parts of the building
  • Auditory equipment- Sound Field System in Foundation stage
  • A shower has been installed in the Key Stage One building.
  • A changing mat in both buildings.

How will Nicol Mere support my child when joining or leaving the school and transferring within the school?

  • There will be discussions between previous or receiving schools and settings, prior to a pupil joining or leaving Nicol Mere.
  • Transition visits will be arranged between other settings and Nicol Mere. Additional visits are arranged for the children who need extra time in their new school.
  • Year 6 teachers liaise closely with receiving high schools.
  • The Early Learning and Childcare team hold inclusion progress meetings in the summer term for those primary schools receiving children with SEND from early years settings.
  • The SENDco ensures the transfer of SEND records.
  • Teacher to teacher meetings are arranged in the summer term to discuss classes moving up in September-supported by the whole class overview sheet detailing any children’s additional needs.

A transition session, arranged at the end of the summer term, provides the opportunity for all children to spend time in their new class with their teacher.

How are the schools resources allocated and matched to the children’s special educational needs?

The SEND budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide support or resources dependant on individual need. The head teacher makes the final decision as to how the budget is allocated.

How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

These decisions are made in consultation with class teachers and senior leaders. Decisions are made upon termly tracking of pupil progress and as a result of assessments/ advice from outside agencies. During their school life, if further concerns are identified, then other interventions will be arranged.

How are parents/carers involved in school? How can I be involved?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:

  • Discussions with the class teacher
  • During parents evenings
  • During discussions with the head teacher or SENDco.
  • Parents/carers are encouraged to comment on their child’s support plan.
  • Parents/carers are encouraged to attend parental workshops which take place in school throughout the year.

Who can I contact for further information?

Nicol Mere hopes that this document helps to answer your questions. However, if there is anything else you would like to know please telephone 01942 720871.

This SEND information report was reviewed by parents and governors in July 2019.

The following link will provide contact details of support services for the parents of pupils with special educational needs.

Click here to view the local offer from Wigan Council.